"Siobhan Leonard found her ideal inner landscape in forests. When she heard Suzanne Simard’s talk on the complexity of forest ecology, in which she argues that the forest bears comparison with neural and social networks, something clicked with her. She realized she had found her subject. The beautifully flowing, interwoven patterns of her paintings embody the collective nature of both forests and human communities" - Aidan Dunne, Irish Times Visual Arts Critic
My paintings focus on the analogy of human connection whether supportive or restrictive. My work is an extension of my thesis 'Creating Cultural Landscapes- Forestry Conservation and Arts Policy.
I have been working towards lyrical motifs, to describe the dance of the forest, recognising the feminine through my choice of colour palette and the nurturing qualities of the trees, their mystical and healing embrace.
Considering the root systems and fungal networks, the circulatory system of the forest and using the motif of the dripping effect, this allowed an interconnection within the painting. The three screen effect was initally to act as a door way idea, where the viewer can have the feeling of almost stepping into the painting. Upon painting these screens they became a nod to the Japenese aesthetic.
- First Class Honours Degree in Fine Art Painting, GMIT, Galway, Ireland
- Affordable Art Fair in London - Hampstead represented by Bowlish Art Gallery UK
- 'Belonging' a curated exhibition with Pat Fitspatrick, Will O'Kane and Dermot
McNevin at the Source Arts Centre, Thurles, Co. Tipperary. 13th March-26th April.
- 'Bealtaine' at The Source Arts Centre , Thurles, Co. Tipperary
- 'Art Source 2013, RDS, Dublin
- European Commission exhibition in The LEX building in Brussels. Celebrating the
Irish European Presidency. January- March 2013
- Avenue Road Gallery, Dublin
- Gala Event organised by ' Femme d'Europe', celebrating the Irish Presidency 2013
- Russell Gallery, Co. Clare, 'Burren in Bloom Exhibition'.
- Hunt Museum Christmas Art and craft Expo
- Millcove gallery, Co. Cork (open submission competition)
- Chelsea International Art competition, New York, (winning entrant)
- St. John’s international Art Exhibition, Waterloo, Belgium- group exhibition
- AWCB, Brussels - Solo exhibition.
- Green Door Studio gallery, Brussels - group exhibition
- Birr Arts festival, Birr, Co. Offaly- group exhibition
- Europol Art and Craft Expo, Brussels
- Leuven Institute, Leuven - ‘Culture night’ linked with Temple Bar Cultural Trust, Dublin
- Artefacto.be, ‘Art on the Waterfront’, Ghent
- Expart gallery, Brussels ‘Landlines’ – Joint exhibition with Helen Tyrrell
- BAAF 2010 (Brussels Accessible Art Fair)
- St. John’s International Art Exhibition, Waterloo, Belgium- group exhibition
- EESC (EU) ‘Diversity in Unity ‘Exhibition, Brussels, Belgium
- BAAF 2009 (Brussels Accessible Art Fair)
- St John’s International Art Exhibition, Waterloo, Belgium – group exhibition
- BAAF 2008 (Brussels Accessible Art Fair)
- “HIDE” – Davern & Bell Gallery, Limerick, Ireland. Joint exhibition with ceramic artist
- “Art in Unusual Places” exhibition and Nenagh Art Trail with North Tipperary Arts Office
- “IN SIGHT”, Nenagh Town Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co Tipperary, Ireland
- “Art in Unusual Places” exhibition, Nenagh, Co Tipperary, with North Tipperary Arts